Saturday 29 March 2014

Just doing the rounds

29th March 2014 - Topsham


Sometimes the light is so good I'll photograph just about any bird. After an early breakfast I cycled to down to Goosemoor and Bowling Green Marsh. Hardly anyone about, mist burning off in the low sun. Curlews, Godwits, Redshanks and Greenshanks, plenty of ducks - which as usual I barely noticed. The light was perfect, flat with no harsh shadows or flaring highlights, even the Dunnocks looked good.

Dunnock - Topsham 29/3/2014


Dunnock - Topsham 29/3/2014
After a stop at the market I went home and walked the dog to The Rec. The Slavonian Grebe was still there, still a little wary and still looking splendid.

Slavonian Grebe - Topsham 29/3/2014

Very few gulls as usual this early but it was good to find a 1st Winter (or is it 1st Summer yet), definitely 2nd calendar year - perhaps better to call it a 1st cycle - Yellow-legged Gull. This looks darker on the primaries than my last bird so I'm thinking it must be different.

Yellow-legged Gull - Topsham 29/3/2014
An hour later I'm back home in the garden watching a Blackcap, a couple of Chiffchaffs and at least three Willow Warblers feeding, and occasionally singing, in the plum trees.

Willow Warbler - Topsham 29/3/2014

Willow Warbler - Topsham 29/3/2014
Spring's definitely here.



No comments:

Post a Comment