Thursday 17 October 2013

Marsh Harrier

16th October 2013 - Topsham Recreation Ground


Maybe it's due to higher expectations - I had two birds pass through in the Spring - or maybe just unwarranted confidence, but I almost expected to see a Marsh Harrier at the Rec this week. There's been one hanging around the estuary for the last few days and I suppose it wasn't that unlikely that it would drop in from time to time on the largest reed bed in the area. When several hundred gulls took flight and scattered I scanned and saw the disturber of the peace floating over the reeds in the distance. I took a few photos.

Marsh Harrier - 16/10/2013 Topsham

Marsh Harrier - 16/10/2013 Topsham

Marsh Harrier - 16/10/2013 Topsham

Marsh Harrier - 16/10/2013 Topsham
 Presuming this to be the same individual that had been reported as both a female and a female-type over the last few days, I was interested to see whether it could be aged/sexed. The clincher is the last photo which shows neat pale tips to the upper wing coverts forming an obvious thin line across the wing; so it's a juvenile and could, of course, be of either sex.


No comments:

Post a Comment