Tuesday 4 March 2014

Short-eared Owls

3rd March 2014 - Steart, Somerset

 

Short-eared Owls have been thin on the ground locally this winter with no regular birds on the Exminster Marshes. As my brother Chris needed a lift to Bristol Airport I thought a small detour on the way back was in order. So, brother promptly deposited at departures, I parked at Combwich and headed along the Parrett Trail towards Steart in search of owls. I walked about ten miles (so good exercise value), only got wet once (in spite of the black clouds to east and west) and found at least three and possibly five Short-eared Owls, photographs were taken, of course.

Short-eared Owl - Steart 3/3/2014
Short-eared Owl - Steart 3/3/2014
Short-eared Owl - Steart 3/3/2014
Short-eared Owl - Steart 3/3/2014
Short-eared Owl - Steart 3/3/2014
Due to a malfunction - of the photographer, not the camera - I missed a lot of good shots (must remember to check autofocus is not in continuous mode). Although it's not saying much, these are the best photos I've ever got of SE Owl. The next is my favourite, a bird flushed from the embankment just in front of me and circled past with what's just got to be a look of annoyance.

Short-eared Owl - Steart 3/3/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment