Friday 7 November 2014

Colour-ringed Med Gull

6th November 2014 - Topsham


Most visits to the Rec of late have produced at least one Mediterranean Gull, occasionally up to four. Such numbers are pitiful compared to some Dorset sites less than 50 miles along the coast, or even North Devon - haven't yet figured out why they're so scarce on the Exe. I get the impression there's been a regular turn over of birds this autumn, sometimes one bird will hang around for a few weeks but, while numbers rarely get above 2 or 3, I think the total numbers involved could be a lot higher. Whatever, they're always a pleasure to see and doubly so when they sport a readable colour ring. No scope today so I had to do my best from photos.

Mediterranean Gull 2cy H9A4 6/11/2014 Topsham

Mediterranean Gull 2cy H9A4 6/11/2014 Topsham
It's a second winter (2cy) of course - just like an adult but with some black in primaries, much more obvious when flying.

Mediterranean Gull 2cy H9A4 6/11/2014 Topsham

Mediterranean Gull 2cy H9A4 6/11/2014 Topsham

The big question is; where did it come from? Recent (since 2008) Med Gull colour rings should indicate the country of origin by their colour and initial letter; so a red ring beginning H should in theory come from Hungary but await confirmation (now confirmed - see below).

This wasn't my only colour ring of the day, I took a couple of shots of Lesser Black-backed Gulls - interesting difference in grey tone between the adult and the 3cy - and only later noticed the yellow ring on the Black-headed Gull strolling past. The first one I'd ever noticed and I had no scope with me. The photo is far too poor to give any clue as to the code and I'm not even sure if I can work out the country.

Black-headed Gull (with Lesser Black-backed Gulls) - 6/11/2014 Topsham

Update 9/11/2014 - just received this information from the good people at the Hungarian Bird Ringing Centre: H9A4 was ringed as a pullus on 15th June 2013 at Bugyi near Budapest, Hungary. This is apparently its first subsequent sighting.



5 comments:

  1. Hi Tim, I met you and Martin Elliot in my hedge at Shawell A5 Lagoons, Leicestershire a few weeks back. Anyway you will be pleased to know that Hungarian ringed Med Gull red H9A4 was there last weekend (12/03/16). There have been no other sightings since you saw it.

    Cheers, Carl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carl, small world, perhaps it's following me around? A fine hedge it was, though a little chilly I thought - I'm a soft southerner these days! The gulls were top quality though, maybe you could send a Caspian or two down my way in return for the Med Gull?

    all the best

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will do my best for you with the Caspian Gulls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. H9A4 is reported at RSPB Middleton Lakes now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks Geoff, wonder if/where it's going to breed this year?

    ReplyDelete