Monday 18 May 2015

Avalon Marshes

16th May 2015 - Shapwick and Ham Wall

 

I first visited this area of the Somerset Levels back in June 1989 when I saw my first and only UK Roller. It's all a bit different now, several square miles of shallow pools, reedbeds and wet woodland hosting an impressive range of special breeding birds. In recent years I usually make at least one trip in spring and I'm always amazed at how good it is. No Bitterns this time, a bit late in the day perhaps, but plenty of Hobbys in the air feeding on dragonflies, the Great Whites were in full breeding condition - dark bills and red legs, and at least a couple of Marsh Harriers were on display.

Marsh Harrier male - 16/5/2015 Shapwick, Somerset

Marsh Harrier male - 16/5/2015 Shapwick, Somerset

Marsh Harrier male - 16/5/2015 Shapwick, Somerset

Hobby 16/5/2015 - Shapwick, Somerset (hard to count but probably at least 20 over the marshes scoffing the dragonflies and completely ignoring the swifts and hirundines - not on the menu today)

Great White Egret 16/5/2015 - Shapwick, Somerset (distant but shows the dark bill and red legs of a bird in peak breeding condition)

Great Crested Grebe 16/5/2015 - Ham Wall, Somerset (my camera does occasionally take half decent photos - if the bird's near enough!)  

And no, I didn't go up for the Hudsonian Godwit. I pretty much hate big twitches these days and anyway, I've every confidence it'll turn up somewhere nearby this autumn - the upper Exe Estuary is a 'traditional' site after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment